My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://blog.lemuriabooks.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones


“‘My father’s name being Pirrip, and my Christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip. So I called myself Pip, and came to be called Pip.’”


These are perhaps two of the most familiar lines from one of the most renowned English writers, Charles Dickens. Since he wrote them, they have taken on a life of their own. This is why it is fitting that Lloyd Jones decided to make Dickens’ Great Expectations and its beloved protagonist, Pip, the central part of his narrative, Mr. Pip. Like Jones’ characters who became engrossed by Dickens, I fell in love with the enchanting characters in Mr. Pip. - Caroline Morrison

2 comments:

Robert C said...

Hey Caroline,

Thanks so much for the rec on Mr. Pip - the best piece of fiction I have read this year!

Best,

Robert Conolly

Caroline said...

So glad you liked it! Did I tell you it was a finalist for the Booker?