My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://blog.lemuriabooks.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Three Cups of Tea

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin, Peguin Books, 2006, $15.00

The store's book club, appropriately named The Lost Book Club of Atlantis, meets the first Thursday of each month at 5:30 pm, and this upcoming Thursday, we will be discussing one of my favorite reads, Three Cups of Tea.

I first read this book when it was released in 2006 and LOVED IT! I am re-reading it now, and I am catching things this time around that either I didn't catch on the first reading or I simply have forgotten. It is a true story about Greg Mortenson, who was an avid mountain climber. In 1993 he was in Pakistan trying to climb K2 and on the way down he got lost. He ended up in a very remote village and was taken in by these amazingly hospitable villagers. He soon realizes that this village and many, many more like it have no basic schools for the children. So instead of drowning in depression for his failed attempt at K2, he makes it his life's mission to build a school for this village.

I don't want to spoil the story for you if you haven't read it, but I do recommend that you pick this book up and read it. I guarantee you will enjoy it! If you are in the neighborhood, we would love for you to come to our book club group this Thursday.

0 comments: