My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://blog.lemuriabooks.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

MUDBOUND



Mudbound by Hillary Jordan, 2008, Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, $22.95

I am excited about our author event tonight (Thursday, March 20th, starting at 5:00 pm), we will be hosting Hillary Jordan. You may have seen one of the many reviews of her new book, Mudbound, in a magazine or online site...everywhere you turn, this book is being reviewed. And the reviews are fantastic! I wholeheartedly agree with the glowing reviews. This novel was very good. I am partial to Southern fiction, and especially stories written with Mississippi as the location. While the story takes place in a dark period in Mississippi's past, Ms. Jordan describes the grand Delta region as if she had lived there all her life. The characters are so real and down to earth, like most people from the Delta are. Her descriptions of the families' struggles with the land and with 1940s racism are so strong that the reader feels like he/she is living in that period of time. I loved how Ms. Jordan wrote each chapter from the point of view of several of the key characters, so you get each person's perspective of the same events. I am looking forward to her reading some excerpts tonight. Please join us, and if you miss it, please don't miss out on a good read!!!

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I woke up at 3am and decided to read a few pages of Mudbound hoping to get back to sleep. Instead, I couldn't put the book down! I was enjoying it so much that wound up finishing the book before work this morning and now I'm looking forward to tonight's reading even more, AND i heard from someone who has met her before that she's a really interesting speaker... SO I hope some of you can come by at 5:00 or 5:30...

Caroline said...

Hilary Jordan's Commentary on her time at Lemuria... She called us the "coolest bookstore [she's] ever been to in her life!!"

Caroline said...

Forgot to post the link... Here it is:
http://www.hillaryjordan.com/blog/?p=15