My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://blog.lemuriabooks.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Banana, The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World


Banana, The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World by Dan Koeppel, 2008, Hudson Street Press, a member of Penguin Group, $23.95.

So two weeks ago, a former store employee comes in the store inquiring about this "banana" book. She had just heard an intriguing review on NPR
NPR Review Subsequently, she bought our only copy, and I didn't think much of it until (no lie!) about 30 minutes later a customer walks in asking for a copy of the "banana" book. Then as any good bookseller worth her salt, I jumped online to find out what the fuss was all about. The review piqued my interest, and low and behold, I just finished reading the entire book. The book has all the great elements of a mystery novel - you have the main character, the beloved yellow fruit, it's most gripping history, it's constant struggle and it's hopeful survival. I learned so much history, science and botany surrounding the ubiquitous fruit that I will never be able to eat a banana without remembering it's very fascinating history. This book is fast paced and choked full of entertaining facts and reads more like fiction than non-fiction. I give it my top stamp of approval (a blue Chiquita sticker - ha!) - good eats and good reads!

0 comments: