My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://blog.lemuriabooks.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Reading Habits....


I don't know if anyone else does this, but every once in a while I go on a nonfiction binge. I usually prefer to read just one novel at a time, but I tend to read nonfiction a little less intensely than I do fiction, if that makes any sense. I suppose because it doesn't bother me to pick up a nonfiction book and read a chapter or two, and then set it aside, I can usually juggle three or four books at a time.

Anyway, this week I "binged" on some nonfiction, and I've been enjoying all of it, so I thought I'd pass it along.

The Definitive Book of Body Language (Allan and Barbara Pease) -- A friend of mine told me I needed to read this book. This is a great, non-technical guide to developing the ability to read people's body language, and just as importantly, to understand the effect of your own body language. Lot of stuff about gorillas and chimpanzees in here too. And funny pictures of Prince Charles.

The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need (Andrew Tobias) -- I don't have much to invest, but I decided I should learn about investing before I have a lot of extra dough. There are a few different basic guides to investing out there, but this is the best combination of explanation and advice I've come across. Tobias writes in a conversational style that demystifies the confusing world of finance and investing.

Why Does My Dog Act That Way? (Stanley Coren) -- I don't even have a dog (yet), and I'm enjoying this book. This is not really a nuts-and-bolts dog training manual, but the in-depth explanations of dog psychology and the historical pursuit of the "superdog" make for a more interesting read I think. And you learn about the Army putting puppies in the freezer (don't worry, the puppies lived).

God Save the Fan (Will Leitch) -- ESPN brought nonstop sports coverage to the masses, but as Deadspin.com editor Will Leitch writes in this book, its near-monopoly on sports media has had some unfortunate consequences. Leitch exposes some of the stories ESPN doesn't want you know about, and calls for sports fans to reject the dumbing-down of sports coverage. If you're tired of Chris Berman's endless nicknames or find yourself muting the TV when Stephen A. Smith starts yelling at you, you'll find this book entertaining.

0 comments: